Perspective is a strong logical feature of a human being and a single impression paints a total perspective about something or someone. The first thing that is noticeable about a person is the way he/she is dressed, and this precedes the knowledge you utter or skills you can offer. Edith Head an academy award winner once said” You can get anything if you are dressed for it”.
Some companies prefer to allow –and even encourage employees to dress freely or casually for comfort. This tends to work well in more creative work environments, however other companies will typically encourage and/or require a more defined and professional dress code to maintain a professional image of themselves and the business where employees routinely interact daily with prospects, clients, and business partners. Either way, it is expedient to dress up in a way that exudes power and propels success.
One way of dressing for success is called “Power dressing”. This is a style of clothing or hair intended to make the wearer confident and competent. It is important to dress powerfully because it :
- Shows Confidence: Dressing powerfully gives one a sense of confidence which is easily noticed by people. When you look good people tend to listen to what you have to say.
- Exudes Authority: Dressing powerfully provides an aura of dominance that could easily cause people to be compelled to submit to your opinion
- Gives convincing edge: Dressing right would naturally give you a head start in pitching a business or convincing a client. One’s worth is sometimes estimated from one’s looks and no one wants to appear cheap.
- Shows readiness: If you are looking to attain a career position, Dress the part! No matter how competent you are if you do not look like what a person that position should look like you will always be sidelined.
Tips for improving Dress Strength.
The good news is that dressing powerfully is easier than you think, and you don’t have to break the bank in the process. Keep the following tips in mind and you’ll give the impression of success:
- Begin with the basics. Always choose dark socks when wearing dark pants and/or shoes. Your belt should match or coordinate with your shoes. These two simple tips are often missed!
- An often missed note on hygiene. Limit the use of cologne/perfume; it’s meant to complement not overwhelm.
- Keep it simple. Accessories should be just that: extra. Make sure jewelry and belts are not too showy or distracting. If they overwhelm your outfit you can be sure they’ll overwhelm your personality as well.
- Keep it clean. This one is a no-brainer: Clothing should be clean and pressed. But I’ll go one further. Invest in getting a suit that’s been tailored to your build. Nothing looks worse than a too baggy (or too tight) jacket or pants legs that puddle up at the ankles.
- Dress for the occasion. If it calls for a black tie on the invitation, they mean a tuxedo, not a navy suit. If it’s a more casual event but you’re unsure of the attire, wear a jacket regardless. You can never go wrong by being the best-dressed person in the room.
- Dressing well is more than just clothing. It’s an essential part of your comportment and demeanor. George Washington’s Rules of Civility speak to many forgotten ideals of how one should “carry oneself” and I recommend a brush-up with his concise guide still relevant today.
Start by dressing like the person you want to be and the success you desire will follow.
Are there other tips you use in dressing top-notch do share with us in the comment section below.